Friday 3 December 2010

I picked the coldest weekend to remove the petrol tank

With temperatures of -7.5 I set off to the unit know it was going to be a chilling experience especially as my overalls where at the unit and I would get changed into them there...

Well I had the heater on and decided that I was going to need to move the car so set about attaching some castors to a pallet which I intended to put the car on so I was able to roll it around. Before I could put the car down I needed to remove the fuel tank and anything else from the bottom of the car, firstly I removed the remaining heat shields, then the gear stick and linkages, then I quickly popped the hand break cables out.







I then moved on to the fuel tank, I carefully started to remove the fuel lines and as soon as I could smell petrol it was time for the gas heater to go off. It took 3 hours to warm the unit and was cold within a few minutes, however I continued to remove the tank which felt quite full. after removing the connected pipes I carefully dropped the tank down and decanted the 5L of fuel for the lawn mower. With the tank out I left it outside so I was able to put the heater back on and enjoy the warmth it provided.




After the tank was out I put the car onto the pallet and was surprised how well the car moved around, the home made trolley cost me £15 rather than the £190 for a normal car creeper.

With another cold weekend approaching I intend to spend it welding providing there is too much snow to get there, being in the UK people can't drive if there is more than 1" of snow...

No comments:

Post a Comment