Monday 27 December 2010

Engine P2

Following on from engine P1 where some of the castings and sump was removed.
I had spent a least a couple of days trying different methods to remove the crank pulley but didn't have the tools to hand to stop the crank turning until I had a thought of bolting the crank into place at the flywheel end. This worked well and I quickly had the bolt off the end of the pulley.

Using my pulley puller I set it up on the crank the best I could as its a little bulky for the job and a bit cheap too. A problem quickly arose from this puller which caused me some trouble, as this pulley is rubber dampened I found that I managed to pull off just the outer ring of the pulley which was held to the rest of the pulley with rubber, I decided to cut the rubber and just get that part off.



With the outer ring of the pulley off I then set about removing the inner part, this was a little easier as I could get the claws of the puller around the pulley, I also placed a small cut through the ring to allow it to deform as it was stretching the rubber like the outer ring had already done, this helped a lot.


My main success came I added a pre-load to the pulley puller and left the blow torch hanging for about 5 minutes, suddenly the pulley jumped 5mm which was excellent to see


With the pulley now off I felt relieved as was about to pack up when I decided to carry on and strip the block down. This was a fairly easy task too (unlike the pulley). I set about removing the oil pump and cam timing chain, and cover. As I did it I turned the crank to be assured that all the cam timing was correct, glad to say it all aligned as I thought it would have been, always good to check though.



I then set about removing all the bolts from the lower end of the engine, this all came out very easy with no problems, the bolts came out and I was able to lift out the lower casting with the bearings in place, I did see some very light scoring on the bearings, I do plan for new bearings so this isn't a problem but they look good enough to go back even though they are not.




The next job was to remove the bolts from the con rods and to take the crank out, everything came undone and lifted out with out any issues, I then placed the crank on the bearings of the lower casting to ensure it was not damaged



 Lastly I removed the oil sprayers from just below the cylinder bores and went to remove the pistons, not sure why I did this next part but it was stupid, in excitement I grabbed the con rod and pulled piston 1 out of the cylinder, as soon as the piston rings had passed the bore I realised the piston wont come out that was and it was now stuck. A little while of shouting etc passed and I had managed to compress the rings and push the piston out the right way. Feel a idiot for doing that and not sure why I did... Any way the engine is now stripped ready for cleaning and modifications


Until next time, thank you for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment