Monday 22 November 2010

Roll cage design P1

With the custom nature of the car buying an off the shelf roll cage is not an option, leaving me with a couple of options which are to pay someone to design the cage or to design the cage myself. Having all the CAD and needed facilities to virtually test the cage I have decided to give it a go myself first and then proceed from there.

Firstly I took my microscribe arm down to the car to measure the body. The points for fixing are marked on the car and then the arm is used to measure the points to ensure that the cage will fit in the car.

With the points in place I then built up a construction wire frame in the CAD package.





With the cage wire frame I then took the tube size chosen I then moved to modeling the tubing ready for when I have time to do an analisys (FEA study)
This will be the cage until I have some more spare time to get all the stress worked out and decided if I need to add more material or remove material

If you fancy having a look at the current design in 3D click the link (you will need adobe pdf reader) 3D PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment