Sunday 15 May 2011

Convertible boot

Spent today out and about mostly, managed to spend a few hours in mini matts scrap yard finding bits for both my MG and the mini and also managed to collect from someone else 2 brand new front screens ready for cutting


Over the last few weeks I have been thinking about the boot I had made and the fact with the car slammed on the floor the boot hatch will only open to my chest which makes this almost useless so I was left with the decision to either weld shut the boot or find another way of making a boot.

I decided that I would look into the convertible boot as a fitting, I spent some time at the himley hall show looking at the metalwork, hinges fixinxg etc and also spent time talking with matt again. We both thought it could be done quite easily.

I cut the sections I needed from the back of a crash damaged mini and brought them back to the unit with me.

Firstly I spot welded the top section of the old tailgate in place and roughly chopped the bottom section off, I will be rebuilding so will need to trim it back further once I have the seal from the dealer.

I then removed the hinge brackets from the rear end I chopped out and welded them to the car, this was quite easy to locate and fix in place.This would have been even easier if the spot weld drill was not already blunted to start, maybe I should order some more...


Next I had to modify the strap and catch bracket as the rear of the convertible is a different shape, so after modification it was welded in and it works well. I spent quite a while moaning about the supports either side the they were too long, then I realised they were connected to each other so when I pulled the two cords together not surprising really they were the correct length.

New convertible boot fitted and I like it a lot, I am going to leave the top fixed I think though with me that could always change. Just have one more catch to weld in and its done
Thank you for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment