Saturday 29 January 2011

Cage fitting P1 and battery box

Start of the day was cold, frosty, with all the water in the kettle frozen and the heater doing very little to warm me up.

I decided that since I had the cage it should be put in the car or at least make a start with it. Prior to fitting the cage I wanted to ensure that the battery box was removed, firstly because I want a straight through exhaust and then weight savings, and lastly I do not plan to put a battery back in the boot and plan to put it under the bonnet.

To remove the battery box I decided to use the angle grinder and small 1mm cutting disk
With the battery box cut out it was they laid upon a sheet of steel which was marked out and cut to size, once cut this was spot welded into place and will need to be seam welded when I have a little more time.
Set with my measuring tape I started to mark out the car and cutting the roll cage bars. With the bars cut I started to weld in the rear plates and stand ups for the cross members




My next move was to fix the main hoop in place and start to notching the tubing for the cage. I managed to break the hole saws I had so couldn't finish the job but I will get the parts and will get on with it next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment