Saturday 30 January 2010

De-mount - Rich shouts "My thumb"

Well tonight I feel like I have worked hard and I hope it shows. Normally I like to have the correct tools for the job but feel that this time I was missing something, mostly a winch.

The day started well with the sun on us keeping an ok working temperature, the plan was and has been to get the engine out to fix the melted nylon bush on the clutch. While I didn't need to take the engine out I though it would be worth while. This would help to run the new loom and give better access to everything else.

First thing I did was to take a quick look on how to take the drive shafts off, the Haynes states break the security nut and undo with the wheels in the air. It quickly became apparent that the hubs where turning so this was a no go. I decided to do it my way. I had Rich with me the whole day "God bless" so most of the jobs are a we more than I this time.
We undid the lower ball joints, suspension strut, and stabiliser bar, this enabled us to take the whole assembly off in one go. Even with the two of us on the job it was time consuming, mostly because the car is 8 years old and also stood not moving for 4 months. The items came off though some needed the use of a club hammer.


We removed the right hand side which in the UK is the drivers side which is correct in terms of car line (The design and build direction of the car, it relates to a virtual axis used by all car designers to ensure robots and parts are relative to a point at the front of the car ~ Or when I used to be involved we used this method)

The passenger side was the same with the exception of a brake line I had forgot to remove so while I held the strut Rich removed the line.


At this point lunch arrived in the form of a cheese sandwich, it was nice but back to the car (Thanks Helen, we enjoyed lunch but hot dogs would have been good too...)

Having a think I decided that we should support the engine with a block of wood and trolley jacks, this was a good idea because we started to remove the engine mounts from the gearbox and the lower engine mount. While we removed the mounts I remembered Dave told me to make things easier remove the two bolts from the bottom of the gearbox. Basically when the engine is out and sitting on the floor you can't get to the bolts, also the clutch cylinder lugs can break off easily too so protect them "its a top tip!"

With the engine mounts off we foolishly held the engine and lifted it forward, I think we both realised how heavy it was. It was still supported so no real problems but now we had to remove wires from the back we had not been able to get too. since the loom was melted we where able to simply chop them away.

Knowing the engine and gearbox etc was heavy we voted to lower the engine on the trolley jacks, this seamed fine till the jack rolled down the hill. The worst part was I am holding the gear box as it rolled away and suddenly I had a huge weight. I can only hold about 40Kg with my smallish build so I got something soft under it and laid it down.


With the engine laying there we took a break as this sort of lifting takes it out of you quickly or me at least.

We discussed what we would do with the engine when out and I recalled a pallet I had seen laying about so Rich ran off and came back with it. With one / two lifts we got the engine on the pallet and stripped the gear box and starter motor off it, this was really simple and quite satisfying. (Rich in the photo, me on the camera)


With the gearbox off we could see the melted nylon bush and I will get on to ordering that part and the other bush. While its out I may also fit the Quaife LSD then again I may do it later. First thing is to sort the nylon bushes.

With the engine out the way we put the hub assembly back in place so we had a rolling car and put the wheels on. The car now really looks like it has progressed far. "TIP to stop the drive shafts dripping thick grease everywhere, if you have disposable gloves throw a pair over the bearings"

The pallet was moved to the garage and we then had the task of moving the engine again, Rich picked the engine up and placed it on the trolley, I did not realise but Rich had trapped his thumb between the engine and the angle iron frame of the trolley, this was not a problem till we tipped the trolley back and he had the majority load on his thumb. Rich quickly let me know this was hurting and we got the weight off his thumb, luck for Rich there was no broken bones but this could have ended badly if he did no have his protective 0.25mm thick disposable gloves on... No seriously we where lucky.


The final task for the day was to move blue to his new home, this was made a lot easier without the engine and that Rich was pushing while I was in the car.
I know when the engine goes back in there will be a hoist involved. Seriously do not try and lift an engine out, while the short block is not too bad the gearbox and clutch flywheel assembly soon add some serious weight.

Until the next post, I hope you enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment