Sunday 15 January 2012

Wiring loom hell

My trial and tribulations continue and leave me sitting out side in the -3 frost on a cold slab with a soldering iron in one hand and solder in the other I set about cutting 2 wiring looms to make 1 good loom with all the functions that I wanted.

My issue as I go along is 1 loom is the original and melted at the front from the fire and the latter which is off a 2004 plate facelift so in some cases the loom has more or less features depending which way you go... Confused? I have been although I am nearly there now!

This is the initial pile on the floor of the 2 wiring looms

As you can see a large pile of wires, I knew before I started to cut anything I was going to have to lay out everything as it would be in the car. Once laid out I could then start to find out what features I wanted and others I did not. The principal from there was easy, remove or add wires...

From the back of the car I had to break the loom as it was for a hatch back and I don't really have that any more. I first freed the wires out of the loom and then set them up in sets, heated window, brake light, tail lights, and removed the wiper motor loom. I had already got the wires for the convertible boot which come out in another place, this meant moving wires round to have the lock loom in a different place to normal and then removing several wires for the bottom lock as it works differently.

Once the rear was sorted I set about adding the wires which had been chopped when the loom was removed, such as fuel pump wires etc. All abs sensors wires where removed and will be un-coded from the ECU once I have my system up and running. The 2 pre tensioners will disabled by using a 3.9ohm resistor soldered in line.

The front of the loom is still an on going project as currently there is a deviance with fans which changed between the 2 looms and I have 8 extra wires the other side for items I wont install, they will need to be removed once I an 100% happy I know what they do (probably - heated washers, washer bottle level sensor and ...)

Here is the huge pile of wires, enough to drive you mad and they are all really sticky under the adhesive wrap - "not nice"


No comments:

Post a Comment