Saturday 2 January 2010

Engine bay is clear

Its been a busy few hours today removing all of the remaining burnt and melted components from the engine bay and also managed to start cleaning.

The day started with a trip down to tool man in search for a set of pry bars and mole grips which as usual they supplied me at an excellent cost.

On returning back to the garage I had lunch and decided it would be worth removing the front wheels and using some spares provided by Dave at Think mini (thank you). The original tires we melted, cracked and flat which made moving the car very difficult indeed, as you may have read in the "to me to you" post.
On taking the 17mm socket I tried to undo any of the three normal bolts but found that the rust on the wheel bolts was not allowing the tool to fit. I used my trusty block of wood to tap the socket into place only to find that I could not turn it, not even with all my weight. I decided an extension bar was the solution, it was. The three bolts where removed quickly and relatively easily. Next the locking wheel nut, I luckily found the locking wheel nut in the glove box though I also found out that the rust on the wheel locking bolt would also stop the key fitting, my trusty block of wood came to my aid again.
With all the wheel bolts off I thought a simple smack on the back of the alloy wheel would see the wheel off. No chance the wheel had bonded itself on and no amount of levering or hitting would see the wheel budge. I then took the approach of soaking the hub in WD40 and left to another job.

While the wheel had time to soak the WD40 I decided that I had to remove the last of the melted plastic from the engine bay and that was the target for the day. With the rocker cover removed I had more room to access the rear plastic panel, water bottle, and power steering bottle. Firstly I removed the water bottle which as the system was dry was nice and easy. I am sure with a little bit of cleaning the bottle can be reused. The power steering bottle unbolted with no issues and the bracket has been put a side for powder coating as the shape and form are still perfect.
The next thing to remove was the engine stabiliser, this was difficult and the bolts required a 500mm breaker bar extension but the bolts did come out with too much hassle.


With the above items removed it was possible to the black plastic section which uses them silly plastic screw clips which as with the majority of plastic had melted so a quick pull saw them release.


Back to the wheels, my friend Richard Phillips turned up and I asked him to have a go with removing the a panel, this turned in to me having to drill out a bolt and he broke a T25 bit, no worries though that was sorted. Since we can't open the doors fully within the garage we decided that the a panel is a job best left for the time being and really I just wanted the wheels off.
I told Rich about the trouble I had been having with the wheel and it not coming off, so with the car back in the air Rich grabbed the wheel sternly and pulled, within a couple of minutes the wheel was off, typical... Feeling a little week I decide this is a time for Rich to try the other wheel and the bolts where tight but a breaker bar soon relieved them, next Rich tried to remove the wheel and it just would not budge so quickly out came the WD40 and it was left to soak. We tried again just a little later and nothing, the wheel was still fixed. To protect the wheel I had been using the block of wood between the hammer and the alloy, though at this point a little fed up of being beaten by a wheel I took the club hammer and single blow to the wheel I removed it. Rich then cleared up and fitted the next wheel.


While Rich sorted the wheel I set about removing and cutting back the last remaining wires and water pipes. I also put on the new rocker cover to stop contaminates falling into the cylinder head and lubrication system. I also had time to remove the engine fuse box, I think it would still work but since it had fire damage on I decided it best to remove it.


Together Rich and myself took a steel brush, brass brush, and a nylon brush and set about removing the smoke marks and melted plastic from the suspension towers, this was a satisfying job as you could start to see the filth and dirt being removed and it really felt like a step in the right direction was being made. With the bodywork cleaned I decided that until I had time to treat the metal I sprayed it with WD40 to help prevent corrosion.

My side of clean strut (Pictures taken at night when it was dark)


Rich's side of clean strut (Pictures taken at night when it was dark)


With the majority of the engine sorted I will now need to change the brake calipers, lines, CV boots, suspension struts and remove both the A-panels to remove the damage from there. Over the next few week I will be stripping back the interior to start making an attempt to remove all the old wires to the engine and replace the loom. While this work is being done the engine will be removed and the clutch needs a nylon bush replaced. Also I plan to rebuild the M45 blower to ensure there is no contaminates within.

Until next time, over and out, and here is a picture of how the car was left as we packed up

No comments:

Post a Comment